Hereford United 0 Rochdale 0

Hereford United and Rochdale both made it seven points out of nine from the past week in a game which could have gone either way.

Both sides had opportunities to settle the issue, particularly in an end-to-end second period, but in the end, neither will be too unhappy with a draw.

The first-half corner count, which amounted to 12 - eight going to the visitors - might give the impression that it was an exciting first 45 minutes.

This was far from the case, however, with few serious goalscoring opportunities as the game often got bogged down in midfield. Such chances as there were fell, principally, to Hereford.

On 16 minutes, a shot from Steve Jennings appeared to hit defender Rory McArdle on the arm but referee Pat Miller indicated it was shoulder.

Then after 23 minutes, a cross from Steve Guinan flashed through the Dale six-yard area with no-one able to get a touch.

Alan Connell had a chance when he got up to head a Trent McClenahan cross but was unable to get over the ball which flew wide.

Connell was the provider for the best chance of the half on 35 minutes, getting free to pick out Guinan only for the on-loan striker to fail to get a touch on the ball when a touch would have brought a goal.

In amongst all this, Adam Le Fondre missed a good chance when a slip by Dean Beckwith set him clear, but Rob Purdie did well to push the striker wide and his shot was easily held by Wayne Brown.

Hereford made a lively start to the second period and Connell had a great opportunity to open the scoring on 51 minutes, but headed Danny Thomas' cross straight at keeper Matt Gilks.

At the other end, Le Fondre's shot was well saved by Brown before Connell was denied again, seeing Gilks push a shot away for a corner.

The diving Brown saved from Adam Rundle as Dale pushed on and Beckwith came to Hereford's rescue when he cleared a Le Fondre effort off the line.

As the corner count continued to rise - ending finally at 17 to Dale and seven to Hereford - the action swapped rapidly from end to end, without either side being able to make the decisive breakthrough.